Tuesday, June 15, 2010

NIFT or Pearl

This is a question asked by one of my readers:


I have cleared NIFT and got 1xx rank for MFM & have also got through Pearl Academy of Fashion for RETAIL MANAGEMENT.



Please guide me what should I do n what chances do i stand for nift centres , I have heard that exposure n placements are better for pearl. In Long term I want to establish my own enterprise. Please advice accordingly.


NIFT or Pearl

This is a question in the minds of the students especially for those who got through the test of both the institutes. Since it is question of people's career therefore it should be handled very carefully. 

An institute is a combination of the efforts and brand name. In fact, brand name gets developed after a lot of effort. 

NIFT was started to impart fashion education at a time when there was no such institute. Over time, it has built a reputation on its own. Its alumni is spread all across the country. Under the aegis of Ministry of Textiles, it commands vast resources which is always good for students. 

Pearl, on the other hand is a private venture which also- thanks to the efforts made by the administration and faculty-has established a formidable reputation. It has the advantage of an inhouse industry which prepares the students to see things in action. Its faculty is well qualified and labs furnished. In that sense also it is as par with NIFT. But it has a constraint of resources which are not as widely available as are in NIFT.

In fact, pearl goes far beyond that. It studies the NIFT curriculum, improves it and presents to its students. It tries to get the same level of faculty as NIFT has. In that way, it is almost reactive to NIFT actions. 

Now what to choose ? given a choice, one may want to opt for NIFT as here the brand name guarantees the career.  Thus if one wants to have a strong career, brand name NIFT always help. It also helps you in getting loans for your industry. The alumni spread all over are an additional asset. 

But maybe I am biased. I would welcome comments giving some other reasons for opting Pearl vis-a-vis NIFT. 

4 comments:

Kajol said...

What about the exposure you get in pearl?
In your 3rd and 4th year, they send you abroad. And when it comes to fashion, you must have a lot of exposure.
I'm myself confused between the two. I really want to know about this particular thing.

Kajol said...

What about the exposure you get in pearl?
In your 3rd and 4th year, they send you abroad. And when it comes to fashion, you must have a lot of exposure.
I'm myself confused between the two. I really want to know about this particular thing.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vinay Kartik said...

I am a pearl alumni(2010-2014) FD batch. Currently doing job in reputed export house.Though i will open my own soon. If you want comparison, I would say both are head-to-head. Pearl innovates a lot though(huge plus), though nift has slightly better brand value (only delhi). Pearl spends a lot in there final year fashion shows, this time bringing Manish Malhotra, JJ Vallaya, Nikhil Mehra, Amit aggrawal so you can imagine what kind of exposure pearl gives. So Pearl also spends a lot. But I have seen nift students getting slightly better placements. But I must say it only depends how much creative and hard working you are If you have limited money and you are selected for both, blindly go for nift. Pearl has very high fees And if you are a rich kid, then you may consider both. If you have ample money, I strongly feel Pearl will give you edge. But it all zero downs to your creative ability, both pearl(delhi) and nift(delhi) are neck to neck in Fashion Design. In jewellery you may choose Paerl, in communication and merchandising go for nift blindly. Cheers! hope it has helped :) And as far as hard work is concerened , My roomate was niftian so i can tell both institute demand similar hard work.