Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fashion Design Vs. Fashion Management

Fashion Design Vs. Fashion Management

Here is a mail that I have received. I have changed the mail to suit the need of this subject.

“…I am doing internship at … after second sem of MFM of NIFT…
I am quite confused right now what I should do after this course. I am more confused because I find this course  rather vague.

I am getting more discouraged when I compare the placement potential with my design peers. To give you an example, I have my friend like this girl who did her Bachelor in Design from NIFT.  She is working in an export house. She has a very good designing sense and she is very hard working. From very first month buyers of that export house have started liking her design. I am very sure as company owner is very happy with her so she might get 100% appraisal in just two months.

She told me that in export houses like she is working with, People who come after doing fashion management gets Merchandising post and they don't get appraisals like she is expected to get. The full company runs on Designer's shoulder.

 I do not want to work as a merchandiser in an export house because there designers always remain in limelight and merchandisers rarely are given proper importance.
What should I do?” 

Here is a classic case of basic conflict that is seen in apparel organizations. This conflict is not only observed in export houses but also in retail organizations. Many companies like Shopper’s Stop are merchandise centered. It means there designers have the upper say in anything. However companies like Pentaloon are market led, where Fashion Managers run the show and have a stronger say. The basic reason of this conflict is hidden in the way an organization is evolved and its core competence.

My advice to you, look for a market led organization. There are many in Apparel retail and export house. But, if need be work with such designer-led organization to get a hang of the thinking that is prevalent in such organizations and use them to uplift your career. And then if you grow big, among equals, you can give preference to Fashion Managers than Fashion Designers in recruiting and promoting. 

5 comments:

INIFD said...

you have share nice explanation on difference between Fashion designing Vs Fashion Management
thanks for sharing this

Jewellery Software Solution said...

RV Jewellery Software Solution
We are providing all kind of software solution for Jewellery Industry.
Contact : jewealss@gmail.com

neha patil said...

How is the present and future value for Fashion designing
?

StevenHWicker said...

I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Mens Slim Fit No Iron Dress Shirts

harshini said...

Thank you for sharing valuable information
fashion design course hyderabad
fashion design course in hyderabad