Sunday, May 8, 2011

MFM for Commerce Students


A  reader has asked me this question: 

I have done my B.Com ( Hons)...Please tell me how can I contribute towards these sectors...

Apparel and Retail industry is all about topline and bottomline and after apparel get sold, numbers rule the market. In such a scenario, knowledge of commerce comes in handy. Right from merchandise planning to retail store distribution, budgeting forms the core of the process. It means cost of capital, payback period, and whole lot of commercial vocabulary takes over. So commerce is woven into the very fabric of apparel retail and fashion industry. I would recommend to go through the annual reports of companies like Pantaloon, Shopper's Stop, Mandhana Industries and offer documents of Gini and Johny ( All are available in their respective websites- Offer documents you can download from SEBI website). You can get a very good insight of how industry functions, what are the key players and what are the financial ratios for these industries. It would be worthwhile to go through the current market price of these retail companies. I hope this helps. 

No comments: